Amaranth Seeds - Red Garnet OPEN POLLINATED
- Easy to grow, great for sprouts, greens or grains
- Sprouts with Attractive Color
- Excellent for Microgreens or Sprouting
Availability & Turnaround Time
All seeds are shipped year-round, while flower bulbs are shipped on a seasonal basis. Typical turnaround times for in-stock items is between 2 – 5 business days.
|Zones 2 – 10||Year-Round|
|Spring Planted Bulbs & Perennials (Warmest Regions First):|
|Zones 8 – 10||Mid March|
|Zones 7||Late March-Early April|
|Zones 6||Early-Mid April|
|Zones 5||Mid-Late April|
|Zones 2 – 4||Late April-Early May|
|Fall Planted Bulbs & Perennials (Coldest Regions First*):|
|Zones 2-4||Mid September|
|Zones 5||Mid-Late September|
|Zones 6||Late September|
|Zones 7||Late September - Early October|
|Zones 8-10||Early October|
We try our utmost to maintain reliable inventory of all products, and are very proud of our record in doing so. However, as we are a company engaged in what Mother Nature provides, we do sometimes experience shortages and crop failures beyond our control. If, for any reason, we are required to backorder any portion of your order, rest assured we will keep you apprised of updated shipping information and/or any other options that may satisfy your needs and wishes.
Grow Heirloom Amaranthus - Plant Red Garnet Amaranth Seeds
Beautiful dark red/fuchsia blooms top large plants that can reach up to 10 feet tall! Beyond its aesthetic qualities, young leaves can be used for greens, and flower heads fill with seeds that can be toasted and eaten as grains. Because of its stunning height, seed-filled flower heads make a great source of food for goldfinches and other birds flying by. Makes a wonderfully nutritious micro-green as well!
Name: Red Garnet Amaranth Botanical Name: Amaranthus tricolor "Red Garnet" Type: Open-Pollinated Size at Maturity: 6ft - 10ft Tall Days to Maturity: 90-120 Days, 16-25 Days for Microgreens Light Requirement: Full Sun Planting Time: Warm Season Sowing Method: Direct Sow Planting Depth: 1/2" Plant Spacing: 14" Seeds per Pound: NA Hardiness Zones: All Ships: Year-round Average Seeds Per Packet: ~1/2 tsp
When to Plant:
- Amaranth can be planted inside or outside in the Spring, but we’d recommend starting the seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before your last frost. If you decide to plant outside, wait until the soil is warm.
How to Grow:
- Amaranth needs full sun and can be grown in almost any well-drained soil besides dense clay.
- Plant your seeds about 10-12 inches apart and cover lightly with soil.
- They will germinate within 3-4 days if the temperatures are between 60-90 degrees F.
- When moving your seeds outside, sow them 1.5 to 2 feet apart.
- Amaranth is drought and heat resistant, so it is only necessary to water once or twice a week during dry periods.
- For taller plants, add fertilizer once or twice a year or add compost. Amaranth grows between 4 and 6 feet tall but with particularly rich soil with plenty of nitrogen and phosphorous, the plants can get to around 8 feet!
How to Harvest:
- Amaranth will flower until the first hard frost, so there will be plenty of seeds to harvest!
- Seeds from the flowers are usually ready for harvest after 3 months.
- To harvest, shake the flower heads and catch the falling seeds.
You May Also Like
Amaranthus Seeds - Pygmys Torch Amaranthus hypo
Amaranthus hypoAs low as $3.50 per package
- Annual; Grows 12-16 Inches
- Upright, dark red flower and green foliage
- Prefers full sun exposure
Amaranth Seeds - Green Callaloo (Chinese Spinach) HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATEDsold out
HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $3.50 per package
- Also known as Chinese Spinach
- Easy to grow, quick to mature
- Excellent choice for warmer climates
Amaranthus Seeds - Molten Fire Amaranthus Bicolor
Amaranthus BicolorAs low as $3.50 per package
- Summer Blooming; Red Foliage
- Prefers Full Sun; Grows up to 32 Inches
- Annual, Fast Growing
Love Lies Bleeding Seeds Amaranthus caudatussold out
Amaranthus caudatusAs low as $2.95 per package
- Annual; Grows 3-5 Feet
- Hanging, deep red blooms with green foliage
- Prefers full sun exposure
The seeds arrived promptly and are of great quality. I highly recommend Eden brothers