Lettuce Seeds - Marvel of Four Seasons HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATED
- Classic French Heirloom
- Head Lettuce with Excellent Texture and Flavor
- Leaves Change Colors Based on Weather
Availability & Turnaround Time
All seeds are shipped year-round, while flower bulbs are shipped on a seasonal basis. Typical turnaround times for in-stock items is between 2 – 5 business days.
|Zones 2 – 10||Year-Round|
|Spring Planted Bulbs & Perennials (Warmest Regions First):|
|Zones 8 – 10||Mid March|
|Zones 7||Late March-Early April|
|Zones 6||Early-Mid April|
|Zones 5||Mid-Late April|
|Zones 2 – 4||Late April-Early May|
|Fall Planted Bulbs & Perennials (Coldest Regions First*):|
|Zones 2-4||Mid September|
|Zones 5||Mid-Late September|
|Zones 6||Late September|
|Zones 7||Late September - Early October|
|Zones 8-10||Early October|
We try our utmost to maintain reliable inventory of all products, and are very proud of our record in doing so. However, as we are a company engaged in what Mother Nature provides, we do sometimes experience shortages and crop failures beyond our control. If, for any reason, we are required to backorder any portion of your order, rest assured we will keep you apprised of updated shipping information and/or any other options that may satisfy your needs and wishes.
Grow Heirloom Lettuce - Plant Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Seeds
Medium to large heads form rosettes of bronze, gold, red and green toned leaves. Will thrive in a range of climates, thus the "Four Seasons" moniker, this vigorous plant is easy to grow and remains crisp during all stages. A true French heirloom from the 1800s, Marvel of Four Seasons has been lovingly cultivated in kitchen gardens for centuries.
Name: Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce (Merveille des Quatre Saisons) Botanical Name: Lactuca sativa "Marvel of Four Seasons" Type: Heirloom Butterhead Size at Maturity: 8" - 10" Days to Maturity: 60 Days Light Requirement: Sun/Partial Shade Planting Time: Cool Season Sowing Method: Direct Sow Planting Depth: 1/8" Plant Spacing: 10" - 12" Seeds per Pound: NA Hardiness Zones: All Ships: Year-round Average Seeds Per Packet: ~1/2 tsp
When to plant:
- Lettuces are a cool season crop and planting in the heat of summer should be avoided, but many varieties mature quickly and often more than one crop can be harvested in spring and late summer.
How to plant:
- Start lettuce seeds indoors or out, by sprinkling seeds in rows or in containers, and covering with a layer of soil.
- If starting indoors, cover containers with a plastic bag to create a greenhouse effect and keep warm.
- Sprouts should appear within a week to 10 days.
- Once sprouted, remove the plastic and provide plenty of light.
- Once seedlings have a few sets of true leaves, transplant to individual containers.
- Harden off seedlings about a week before transplanting out of doors.
- In outdoor beds, either thin or place transplants to desired spacing. We recommend approximately 4 inches apart for leaf lettuce varieties, 8 inches apart for loose-head types, and 16 inches for firm-head types.
When to harvest:
- Harvest your lettuce when it is full size but not quite mature.
- You can remove the outer leaves to harvest and leave the inner leaves to grow.
- You can pull up the entire plant or cut it off if it is a Butterhead and Romaine variety, or you can pick it when the center is firm if it is a Crisphead variety.
*The crisper the lettuce head, the less heat tolerant they will be. Lettuces can tolerate cold, but care should be taken to protect them from wind. Lettuce and other leafy greens have high water transpiration rates and should be kept consistently moist and in well drained soil. If leaves begin to wilt, plants need more water. Hand weed as necessary, but take care of shallow roots.
You May Also Like
Lettuce Seeds - Leaf Blend OPEN POLLINATED
OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $3.50 per package
- Beautiful Range of Colors and Textures
- Blend of Eight Looseleaf Lettuces
- Tolerant of Warm Weather
Culinary Herb Seed Collection 10 Best Selling Culinary Herb Seeds!
10 Best Selling Culinary Herb Seeds!As low as $15.95 per package
- 10 Individual packets of our most popular Culinary Herbs
- Easy to grow, indoors or out
- Prefers full sun exposure
Lettuce Seeds - Gourmet Salad Blend OPEN POLLINATED
OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $3.95 per package
- Blend of Red and Green Leaf Lettuces
- Direct Sow; Cool Season
- Prefers Full Sun Exposure
Lettuce Seeds - Bibb HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATED
HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $2.95 per package
- Butterhead type lettuce
- 55-60 Days to Harvest
- Prefers full sun exposure